Within any relationship, the needs of children are going to be a priority for each parent
When a relationship breaks down, it can sometimes be difficult to meet your child’s practical and emotional needs when you are feeling so hurt yourself.
This is entirely normal. However, the decisions you make now and the way you behave will have a fundamental impact on how your child copes with the end of your relationship, and the start of any new relationship. A huge amount of care has to go into managing your child’s needs alongside your own.
Prettys advises on a wide range of child-related matters. Our family lawyers offer a legal resolution centred around the wellbeing of you and your children. We offer advice relating to:
- Avoiding court: We take a child-focused approach in dealing with separation, building a support team around you and your child to help process difficult emotions, manage separation and build a new life. Our innovative Talking Works service is built around dialogue, bringing couples together to talk through conflict and find points of compromise and resolution with the aim of working out what is best for the two of you and your child. Our experienced solicitors have resolved some of the most difficult cases round table, when even the parents thought this impossible.
- Disputes over children: It is not always possible to work constructively with the other parent, and there are situations in which court cannot be avoided. If you do find yourself facing a court application, our family lawyers are very experienced in managing complex child litigation concerning emotional, physical and sexual abuse, parental alienation and changes of jurisdiction. If at any point we see a possibility of compromise, we will seek to pause the court proceedings and encourage a constructive dialogue to reach a less contentious resolution.
- Grandparents: A child's relationship with a grandparent can often be the first family relationship to suffer when parents separate. However, following a separation, grandparents can provide a safe and neutral environment in which a child can relax and get away from any issues that are worrying them. We have particular expertise in acting for grandparents whether round table or in litigation.
- Legal advice on child maintenance and school fees: Co-parents should ideally agree on child maintenance or payment of school fees in a way that is practical and affordable. Our Talking Works service can help initiate round table discussions concerning the appropriate amounts.
- Giving your child a voice: Where the circumstances are appropriate, we can work directly with your child to give them a forum to talk through what is worrying them. Our work in this area is unique and creative, providing significant benefits to all those concerned. From experience, we have found that children sometimes have surprisingly sensible suggestions for resolving disputes about them.
If you are faced with a legal issue and would like advice on how best to protect the interests of you or your children, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team today. Contact us on 01473 232121, complete our contact form or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our solicitors are on hand to answer any questions you might have.
Our firm prides itself on taking a client-focused approach to each case, and nowhere is this approach more important than in cases involving children. Family law matters can often be complex due to the emotions involved, so we take the time to fully understand your specific situation before advising on a course of action that’s right for you and your family.
Our family team are highly-regarded for their work involving children. We know that continuing dialogue, courtesy and respectfulness between you and your co-parent will go a long way. It is important that your child knows that you and your co-parent will look after them and love them no less.
Experience has shown us that the more support you can provide, the less your child has to worry about and they can adapt to separated parents and households with certainty and confidence. For this reason, we go above and beyond to ensure we equip you with the expert advice and resources necessary to make this possible.
Our innovative Talking Works service is built around dialogue, bringing couples together to talk through conflict and find points of compromise and resolution with the aim of working out what is best for the two of you and your child. Our experienced solicitors have resolved some of the most difficult cases round table, when even the parents thought this impossible.
Please note we do not offer legal aid but are always happy to talk over your case and fees.