The voluntary registration of land offers significant benefits with regard to cost and convenience
At Prettys, we offer a free title check service to confirm whether your property is registered with the Land Registry. If your property is unregistered, the title deeds in your possession will be the only confirmation of your ownership of the property.
If your property is currently unregistered, it is strongly advisable to consider voluntary registration with the Land Registry for the reasons set out below.
What Can We Do For You?
From a free checking service to practical advice and guidance, we help clients in all aspects of voluntary registrations so that they can enjoy the following benefits:
- Faster sale: Where there is unregistered title it can slow down a sale. The buyer's solicitors may have more questions to ask and may need the seller to produce more documents as well as taking out insurance policies to protect against risk. This all takes time and if there is a chain, it can cause the chain to break down and the buyer to be lost. Registering the land before sale will make the title investigation more straightforward for potential buyers, speeding up the conveyancing process. This will also be likely to save cost.
- You are more secure: Once the title is registered there is a greater degree of security against fraud and the title is guaranteed by the state.
- Reduced fees: As an incentive to voluntary registration the Land Registry offers reduced fees.
- More acceptable title: If property is unregistered and there are missing documents, a buyer's solicitor is likely to insist on the property being registered before the purchase goes ahead. This slows down the whole process as described above. If however, you voluntarily register before marketing, this problem can be avoided.
- Unregistered property already on the market: If you already have a buyer our team offers discounted rates to prepare the voluntary registration for you where there is an imminent sale of your property for which we have been instructed. The Land Registry offers an expedited service of 10 working days if a sales memorandum can be provided to them with confirmation of a current sale in progress.
For more information on how voluntary registration might benefit you, or to find out how our lawyers can help you make the most of any property in your possession, don't hesitate to get in touch with us today.
Why Choose Prettys?
Our residential property team has experience in handling voluntary registrations for all types of property, from farmland to large estates and everything in between. We adapt our services to suit your specific needs and budget, helping you to manage your property without any unnecessary hassle.
For answers to some of the most common questions about voluntary registrations, please scroll down to the FAQs section at the bottom of this page.