Peter qualified as a solicitor in 1987 and became a Partner with Prettys in 1991. He has a degree in Law from Exeter University. Peter has focused on dispute resolution in its various forms throughout his career, during which he has helped clients resolve a diverse range of commercial disputes, many of which through mediation or other forms of alternative dispute resolution as well as creating commercial opportunities. Peter is a trained mediator but has confined his mediation activity to representing clients in recent years. He is the firm’s representative in Galexy, an international association of independent law firms of which he is currently President. He enjoys early involvement and the challenge of assisting clients in achieving commercial resolutions to disputes.
Peter is an active member of Ipswich Interact and sits on the committee of the Forum for the Built Environment East Anglia branch. He enjoys sport and is an active hockey player and occasional umpire and runner.
- Acting as lead representative and part of a professional team in a variety of construction disputes resulting in litigation, arbitration and adjudications for employers, contractors and subcontractors
- Negotiating settlements of disputes in relation to land and/or with commercial lenders and refinance packages enabling latent potential in land interests to be realised and/or orderly asset disposals to be achieved
- Related disputes arising out of the refurbishment of a major office complex in central London
- Complex litigation involving disputes between landlord and tenant and third-party interests as to their respective responsibilities under a lease and the financial ramifications
- Acting for employers in relation to disputes over defective construction works to high-value residential properties in Central London and elsewhere
- High-value disputes between shareholders, joint venturers and partners
- Advising and assisting clients on the recognition and enforcement of foreign judgments and cross-border dispute resolution
- Construction dispute resolution, advice on risk allocation, contract drafting and negotiation
- Alternative dispute resolution, including mediation, expert determination, adjudication and arbitration
- Development and real estate disputes
- Cross-border disputes
- Contract law
- Professional negligence